Thursday, October 04, 2007

Two more things I want from Google Doc.

I have been using Google Doc from its debut. It is a great product, but I wouldn't say it is perfect to me because of two things it missed, to-do list and wiki. Now, at least one of them is solved by "Remember the milk" (RTM), at least for me :-)

As everyone knows, calendar can't be a good replacement of to-do list. Calendar is more about "have to do something during a period of time". In the other hand, to-do list organizes things that should be done, but not necessary during a particular period of time. In my mind, I have some expectations for a to-do list. First of all, it should be on-line and easy to use, as what Google always did. It should be integrated with some common Calendar tools. I don't want to open another page for the to-do list. Of course, it should have fully functionalities of a to-do list, such as prioritizing tasks, organizing tasks into different groups and so on. Given all above, RTM is a perfect fit for me!

RTM is an on-line tool. It can also run in an off-line mode, so you are able to manage your tasks anywhere you are and any time you want.

RTM is easy to use and powerful. It has a clear and intuitive interface. Everyone can master it in five minutes. The user can organize tasks with priorities and put them into different groups. You can also add notes and tags to a task, assign est. time to a task, remember how many times you postpone a task, share tasks with others, and a lot more.

More important, RTM really did a wonderful job to work with other tools. It utilizes Google Calendar Widget to put the to-do list into Google Cal, which is extremely convenient for me. It is quite easy to add RTM to Google Cal. After that, when you open the Google Cal, there will a small icon for each day. By clicking it, a windows poped out to display tasks of that day, where you are able to create and modify tasks. I don't if you can see it on GCal on iPhone. RTM also can communicate with other tools through standard iCalendar protocol. Their new MilkSync, which is not free though, can synchronize RTM to-do list with Windows mobile devices. What else you can expect?

Well, it is the time to forget about your stickers and try RTM.

As for wiki, Google bought JotSpot one year ago and proposed to launch a wiki in this September, but it seems still not ready yet, both in Google Doc and Google Apps. But I believe that it is worth waiting. Wiki is definitely a good way to organize notes, even for a single user. So ... my eyes are peeled!

No comments: