Saturday, April 03, 2010

Tough Waiting

Mar. 30th - Received the shipping notification from Apple.

Mar. 31st - Found the package left from Shenzhen, China.

Apr. 1st - The package arrived in the U.S.

Apr. 2nd -  I do not want to ship it to my home, for some reason, so package is shipped to the building where my office is. Since the building is closed on Saturdays, I called UPS several times to make sure it will be delivered. I asked if the delivery person can call me once he comes by the building, the answer is that they do not carry phones. I asked if I can pick it up in local customer center, the answer is "we made special deal with Apple, we cannot change anything before the first attempt of delivery". So I decided to wait at the door for the UPS delivery tomorrow.

Apr. 3rd 8:30 AM - Found on the UPS tracking page that the package arrived in Decatur at 5:45am, which is about one hour away from Urbana. Right on track!

Apr. 3rd 8:50AM - I went to the office and sit at the door of the building. It is nice that there is a power plug next to the door, so I can do some work while waiting.

Apr. 3rd 9:30 AM - Called UPS to check again. There is a voice message about iPad delivery, which says that all pre-ordered iPad packages will arrive by the end of the day. I talked with a representative, she told me that the normal Saturday delivery schedule, packages are delivered before noon, does not apply to iPad deliveries today. She can not help me locate or contact the delivery person, but she's sorry that I need to wait at the door.

Apr. 3rd 9:53 AM - Refreshed the UPS tracking page again, found the package actually has arrived in Urbana at 8AM. Nice!

Apr. 3rd 11:09 AM - It stopped raining. I got some work done. A big goose dropped by.

Apr. 3rd 11:30 AM - The status of the package still hasn't changed into "Out For Delivery", so I called UPS again to double check if they deliver packages to business addresses on Saturdays. This time I was told that they do not. So I decided to have lunch first. If the status changes to "Out For Delivery",  I will come back.

Apr. 3rd 11:50 AM - Left the office.

Apr. 3rd 12:50 PM - Found the status of the package became "12:03 AM - Exception: THE RECEIVER'S LOCATION WAS CLOSED ON THE 1ST DELIVERY ATTEMPT. A 2ND DELIVERY ATTEMPT WILL BE MADE". So I called a supervisor in UPS. He promised to contact the local UPS center and make the second attempt today, in about 2 hours.

Apr. 3rd 1:10PM - Went back to the building and sit at the door.

Apr. 3rd 1:40 PM - Got the iPad.

Although the waiting is not that pleasant, iPad is so awesome! She is so surprised.


2 comments:

Jed said...

Woo hoo. You're bringing it to work on Monday -- right?

Xiao Ma said...

I will :-)